Skip to main content

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I've been meaning to write about my experiences with photography for a while, and finally, ten years after starting, I've put figurative pen to paper.

The spark of photography hit me in September 2008 when I traveled to China for two weeks. Before going, I decided that I probably needed to take something a bit more capable than my trusty Olympus μ 700 - and so bought a secondhand Lumix FZ50 from a work mate.

Picture info: Lumix GH1, LUMIX G VARIO 14-140 @ 48mm, ISO100, f/5.6, 2 sec
At the time, I had no clue about aperture, shutter-speed or ISO, had only heard of dynamic range in passing, and metering was a dark art best not talked about. I effectively jumped into what was, at the time, a trip of a lifetime with a new camera and no idea how to properly utilise it.

What do I mean? Well, my perfectly capable bridge-camera was hamstrung by the idiot behind it, who for reason known only to himself never reviewed the manual beforehand. And hence travelled around China shooting everything manually-focussed, with manual ISO and a manual aperture which (as I've already said) I knew nothing about.

Amazingly, I arrived back in Britain with a memory card stuffed with almost 1200 shots, all in JPEG. Again, I had no knowledge of RAW, and why should I? I was still editing images on my Amiga, so didn't even have the capability if I wanted to.

Though I don't believe any of the photos I took stand up to anything I may take these days (I've learned a lot since then!), they are a good record of not only a fantastic trip, but also of my start as a photographer.


Since then, I've upgraded my kit and traveled elsewhere, but that Lumix FZ50 still holds a place in my heart despite the advances of technology.
I'm still setting up this blog, so the layout will change over the next few days as I get everything where I want it. Hopefully I should be updating the fairly regularly, but if things go quiet for a bit, do not be troubled! I've a young family so sometimes my time is needed elsewhere.

Comments

  1. Good Luck, amipal. I've enjoyed seeing your photos over the years.

    Rgds, Destry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BOTBs - Panasonic Lumix GH3

Panasonic had realised with the GH1 and GH2 just how much demand there was for high-quality, low-cost mirrorless cameras capable of brilliant video capture. And it was with the 2013-released GH3 that they responded to many of the demands that users had asked for. Panasonic Lumix GH3 January 2014 to December 2016 22500 shots Gone was the multi aspect Panasonic sensor, replaced with a 16 megapixel unit from Sony - the same, it transpires, as used in Olympus's at-the-time recently released OM-D E-M5 . This was a more capable sensor than the one used in the previous model, which helped with better noise handling at higher ISOs and higher-bit-rate video. Gone too was the compact body. Now, the GH3 was a chunkier magnesium alloy affair, and now weather-sealed. It was a huge improvement ergonomically over the GH2 - after shooting airshows for many hours with the GH2, my hand ached, mainly because there wasn't enough room around the handgrip for all fingers. This was no longer th...

Lessons from RIAT 2018

Last weekend I got up stupidly early to travel half way across the country to attend an airshow. But what an airshow! The Royal International Air Tattoo 2018! A word of warning - this is going to be a looooong post. Grab yourself a cup of tea and settle down... I haven't been to an airshow, or at least shot aircraft flying since the Goodwood Revival in 2015, where they had a number of warbirds from the Second World War flying. My equipment back then was my trusty GH3 with the first-generation Lumix 100-300mm lens, and my GM5 with Lumix 14-140mm as backup. These performed well as a pair, allowing me to grab take off, landing, and formation shots with the surprisingly-capable GM5, and the longer, single aircraft detail shots with the GH3. At the time, AF-S was used on both cameras, as I didn't trust the reliability of the continuous auto-focus offered by either - bare in mind that at this point, Panasonic had yet to introduce their Depth from Defocus technology to assist wit...

Shooting the Clematis

In a prior post, I mentioned trying to find the perfect lens for flower photography . And how I was going to do some tests with the lenses mentioned within said post. Well, this isn't that test. It's another test. A test with very similar focal-length lenses, and with similar apertures. This is the Battle of the 50mm or Thereabouts Lenses for Photographing Clematis ! What are the contenders in today's test? Well, we have a trio of legacy 50mm lenses from a variety of mounts. And also an auto-focus lens specifically designed for Micro Four Thirds. Jupiter-8 f/2 50mm - m39-mount Helios-44 f/1.8 50mm - m42-mount Voigtlander Color-Ultron f/1.8 50mm - Q-mount Lumix f/1.7 42.5mm - Micro Four Thirds mount All lenses were shot wide-open, and all from the "same" distance from the flower. This distance was calculated based on the closest focusing distance of the lenses with the longest closest focusing distance, the Jupiter-8. Jupiter-8 f/2 50mm Helios-44...